Our Green Acreages Program still has funding available for the 2022 year to support owners of acreages, hobby farms and recreational properties across Alberta in mitigating the impacts of flooding and/or drought! Take advantage of this unique opportunity to transform your acreage and enhance the natural watershed function of your property. Some of the projects we have funded so far include:
- Wetland restoration through planting native species and removing invasive plants
- Riparian zone planting to prevent flooding and drought and to improve water quality and habitat for biodiversity
- Rain gardens and bioswales to prevent localized, seasonal flooding
- Shoreline restoration through planting native species
- Exclusion fencing to prevent livestock from damaging sensitive riparian areas
- Slope reinforcement through planting of woody, native shrubs to prevent erosion and protect water quality
- Wetland construction to manage water and add habitat, as well as reducing the impacts of both flooding and drought
Leave a comment
Hello, I see this funding is for Alberta, I'm curious if there are any similar opportunities for folks living in BC? Specifically, Vancouver Island. Thanks for your time. Shawna
Hi Shawna, check with the Stewardship Centre for BC https://stewardshipcentrebc.ca/.
When do applications for 2023 start? We have 5 acres in the Beaver Hills (by Hastings Lake) with a pond and season flood space that we would like to do some restoration work on.
Hi Michael, best to contact the Program Coordinator, Milena McWatt at email@example.com and she can help you out.