Green Acreages Guide
Ownership of small acreages, hobby farms and recreational properties is growing. Increasingly, these property owners are searching for information on how best to manage their properties in a sustainable manner.
Stewardship for Small Acreages
The Green Acreages Guide resources were developed especially for acreage, hobby farm and recreational property owners, to help them develop and implement stewardship practices that conserve and protect the valuable natural assets, such as air, land, water, wildlife, associated with their properties.
Green Acreages Guide Primer
This introductory booklet helps get acreages owners started by providing an introduction to the basics of owning and managing a rural property. Download a copy of Green Acreages Guide Primer (PDF 3.8 MB) today. Larger quantities of the print version of the Primer are available for muncipalities and stewardship groups – contact us to learn more.
Green Acreages Guide Workbook
The more comprehensive Workbook takes stewardship to the next level. This self-directed Workbook is organized into chapters. Each chapter begins with an overview of an issue and background information, includes relevant legislation, offers examples of beneficial management practices and provides sources of additional information. At the end of each module, worksheets allow acreage owners to evaluate how they manage their property.
The Canadian Horse Journal reviewed our very own Green Acreages Guide workbook. Here’s what they had to say >> Horse Journals Green Acreages Guide Review
The Green Acreages Guide Workbook will:
- Increase acreage owners’ knowledge of appropriate land and natural resource management practices.
- Support acreage owners in completing a resource inventory and planning exercise, and develop short and long‑term stewardship goals for their property.
- Help acreage owners identify strategies to best manage the natural assets on their land.
- Assist acreage owners to gain an awareness and understanding of relevant bylaws and regulations.
- Provide acreage owners with additional stewardship resources and contact information.
Sample the Green Acreage Guide Workbook:
- Table of Contents and Introduction (PDF 358 KB)
- Chapter 2 – Things to Consider When Buying an Acreage or Rural Property (partial) (PDF 190 KB)
- Chapter 3 – Property Evaluation and Goal Setting (partial) (PDF 250 KB)
Get Your Workbook Today
The Green Acreages Guide Workbook is only $35.00 plus GST and shipping. Order your copy in our online store.
We offer sincere thanks to the numerous individuals and organizations who were involved in and contributed to this project. Their donations, support, guidance and information have been indispensable to the creation of the Green Acreages Guide. We also wish to recognize the following partner organizations for contributing funding to this project:
- Alberta Ecotrust
- Alberta Real Estate Foundation
- TD Friends of the Environment Foundation
- Government of Alberta
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Green Acreages Guide Copyright © 2014 Land Stewardship Centre of Canada